Thursday, July 20, 2006

BANGKOK, THAILAND

Wouldn't you know it--just as I was starting to enjoy myself here in southern Thailand, I got word yesterday that Chris is on his way back to Bangkok! Of course, I'm very glad he's returning, although it's a little sooner than I had expected. Anyway, when I found out he was on his way, I went ahead and booked a flight to Bangkok today on Air Asia--only $46 from Phuket, which ain't bad, and sure beats a 15-hour overnight bus ride!

Before I had to leave Patong, though, I managed to squeeze in a few hours of beach time this morning. Patong Beach is really pretty nice--it's a long, crescent-shaped bay with decent sand and a wide esplanade, similar in size to Kuta Beach in Bali. I was actually admiring the smart-looking beachfront walkway with its nice tile mosaics, sculptures and landscaping when I realized why everything looked so nice--it was all brand-new, because the tsunami had swept away whatever was here before. Then I noticed the tsunami evacuation route signs posted on the beach, which were a little sobering, too--especially when I realized that I could never get to the "safe" zone in time if I did see a giant wave coming in! That aside, it was a lovely beach, and there were plenty of people swimming, sunbathing, boating, parasailing, and generally enjoying themselves there, so I tried not to think too much about giant waves and mayhem and such.

So anyway.... The flight this evening was relatively uneventful, and now I'm back in Bangkok. I met up with Chris at our old guesthouse on Khao San Road, which is just as much of a mess as I remembered, and we caught each other up on the events of the past three weeks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

12:31 PM, August 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home