Thursday, July 13, 2006

KOH PHANGAN, THAILAND

Someone stole my flip-flops yesterday morning.

Perhaps I should have marked this as an ill omen for the Full Moon Party last night. It certainly distracted me a bit at the party, as I spent a good amount of time suspiciously eyeing everyone's feet. But alas, I never found them, or whoever the sick bastard was who pilfered them from the front porch of my bungalow.

As for the party itself, it wasn't bad, but after two weeks of buildup, I guess it was bound to be a little disappointing. It certainly was busy, though--there were literally thousands of people crowding Haad Rin Nok beach by sunset, many of them traveling by longtail boat from other parts of the island and from nearby Koh Samui. By 11 pm there were parts of the beach where it was so packed you couldn't even move!

Unlike most parties of this sort, this one had kind of a schizophrenic feel, as each beachfront bar was blasting a completely different type of music from its sound system. So you'd see people dancing on the sand to drum and bass, then ten feet away it would be house music, then next to that you'd hear techno, then hip-hop, etc. (I tended to hang around in front of Zoom bar, which stuck to hardcore trance.)

I had actually expected more of a rave crowd, but at times it really reminded me of the folks you'd see on a Friday night in Buckhead village. (Scary thought, I know.) Still, there was some cool ravey stuff like fire dancers, dance platforms set up on the beach lit up by black light, flashing police lights on all the water taxis, and a huge sign on the beach that said "AMAZING THAILAND" with figures of elephants and butterflies on it, that they lit on fire at midnight. The kind of stuff that I'm sure would be so much more interesting if you were really drunk or on Ecstasy or 'shrooms or something, which I think everyone else was except me!

I just settled for a couple of Singhas (that's beer, people) and sat on the beach for awhile to look at the moon. That is, until a guy walking behind me tripped and spilled an entire plastic pail full of vodka all over my back--luckily my bungalow was only a minute away from the beach, so I just went back and changed. Of course, this reminded me even more of a typical Friday night in Buckhead, so it wasn't too much later that I decided to call it a night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

4:20 AM, August 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home