Sunday, November 05, 2006

"I should like to spend the whole of my life in traveling abroad, if I could anywhere borrow another life to spend afterwards at home."

- William Hazlitt

ATLANTA, GEORGIA, USA

Well, that's that.

Hard to believe it's all over, but ten months and fifteen countries later, here I am back in the good ol' U S of A, trying to readjust to life in the "civilized" world. Part of me wishes I could keep traveling forever, but part of me is more than happy to be back in the land of iced drinks, toilet paper, and most of all, good friends and family who I've missed like hell this year. It's really great to travel, but it's also wonderful to have something to come home to.

This has been an incredible year, and despite the inevitable bumps along the road, I would do it again in a heartbeat. For anybody thinking of doing something similar, I have only one question: What are you waiting for? It's easy to imagine all sorts of difficulties in undertaking such a journey, but let me assure you: Traveling the world is one hell of a lot easier, safer, and more affordable than you're thinking. Honest! Whatever obstacles you might encounter are trivial compared to the positive experiences you'll have. That's what I've found, at any rate.

I've seen so many places and met so many wonderful people this year that it will take ages to process it all, and as more than one person has told me, it will make for a lifetime of memories. Thanks for sharing this amazing experience with me.

John Kuge
November 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home