Friday, September 01, 2006

BANGKOK, THAILAND

You know you're a real world traveler when you've run out of room in your passport for any more visa stamps! This finally happened to me, so this morning I schlepped across town to the U. S. Embassy to get some more pages added to my passport. After filling out a form, it only took a few minutes to get 22 more pages stapled in there, and it didn't cost me anything, which was cool.

On the way to the Embassy I walked through Lumphini Park, probably the only green space in all of Bangkok, and was accosted by all varieties of reptiles. Well, really I just saw a lot of turtles in the canal, a couple of really big monitor lizards strolling across the lawn, and a big green snake in the grass that scooted up a tree when it saw me. Don't think it was poisonous, but this is Asia, so you never know.

Not much else to report, as we've just been taking care of business and planning our journey to Laos. Oh, except we did have a nice reunion yesterday with our pals Kim and Gemma, who we met in Malaysia a few months ago. They're on their way back to England today after 7 1/2 months on the road (they started their trip at almost exactly the same time we did, and hit most of the same countries). We had a good time catching up on things, eating, and hanging out on Khao San Road before they had to catch a taxi to the airport. They were nice enough to lend us their Lonely Planet China guidebook, which I'm sure will be an invaluable resource in the next month or so.

PS: Happy Birthday, Mom!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home