Thursday, February 16, 2006

FIJI RECAP

Favorite Things About Fiji:
  • Friendly People. Most everyone says "hi" (or "Bula!") to you on the street and smiles like they're really happy to see you. Which as an American was very disconcerting to me at first, but I grew to like it.
  • No Tipping. Waiters, bartenders, taxi drivers, anyone! And the tax is included in prices, which makes paying for things so much easier.
  • Sharks!
  • The Yasawas. A very cool island chain. Striking topography, beautiful sandy beaches, blue water, and great snorkeling. Wish that cyclone hadn't rained on us for a week, but otherwise, an amazing place.

Least Favorite Things About Fiji:

  • The Food. Local, Eastern, or Western cuisine, it's all awful. As an example: The Fijian delicacy of pulasami, which consists of canned corned beef wrapped in a taro leaf and boiled in coconut milk. And no, I didn't try it. (In addition to corned beef, the Fijians also seem to have a fondness for corned mutton. I didn't even know they made that.) Another example: At one resort, the lunch special was "nachos." I ordered them, and what I got was literally Doritos covered in ketchup. 'Nuff said.
  • Pushy Cab Drivers. They will try to convince you to spend $50 on a taxi ride even after you point out to them that the bus is only $5.
  • Tropical Cyclones.

Biggest Regret:

  • Not having the money to travel to the islands of Taveuni or Kadavu, where the scuba diving is by all accounts second to none.

My overall impression of Fiji is very different than Chris'. (And that's all I have to say about that.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast and the local food sounds intriguing. I'll have to put Fiji on my list.

James LeBleu

8:21 PM, May 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home