Friday, June 16, 2006

PULAU PERHENTIAN KECIL, MALAYSIA

Football Fever has struck the Perhentian Islands, and I'm sure the rest of Malaysia and the world as well (except for the U.S., of course).

By "football," of course I mean soccer, as the 2006 FIFA World Cup has begun, and will continue for the next month. All 64 games of it, live from Germany. So instead of the usual nightly big-screen movie, all of the restaurants here are showing back-to-back World Cup matches instead. Which from my standpoint makes things a little more boring, since I'd rather see Wedding Crashers, but whatever.

It's amazing to see how big a deal this is to everyone here--not just the Malaysians, but all the Brits, Swedes, Chinese, etc. who are visiting the island. All the international team fervor really makes it like the Olympics; very crazy. After all this hubbub, I actually started getting into it a little myself, but the only U.S. game this week was at 3 am local time, which I decided not to stay up for. Plus our team kind of sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home