Friday, March 24, 2006

SWANSEA, TASMANIA

A bit of a bum day for me: After driving north this afternoon to get a head start on visiting Freycinet National Park tomorrow, we stopped outside the seaside town of Swansea to stretch our legs at the beach. Being the graceful one, I promptly slipped on a rock and fell into a tide pool. I got completely soaked, cut my hand, bled all over my shirt, and banged my right elbow, which immediately swelled up into an alarmingly unnatural shape. Not my finest moment, but as it turns out, there wasn’t any permanent damage.

We then found lodging at a holiday park in Swansea, and I attempted to stop the bleeding and dry out my wet shoes while Chris and Eric tried out the hot tub. Unfortunately, when we finally got around to walking into town for dinner, all the restaurants were closed, so we ended up at the Bark Mill Tavern feasting on beer, whiskey, and little bags of cashews. (The barmaid eventually took pity on us and scrounged up a bowl of pumpkin soup and three spoons.) Chris eventually got tired and walked back to our cabin, while Eric and I closed down the bar and stumbled down to the beach, where Eric impressed me by reciting entire works by Tennyson and e e cummings until 2 am.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello - just checking in.

So far so good - have fun in Cairns. I wasn't too badly damaged in that typhoon they had a month ago.

10:44 AM, April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops I meant to say I hope it wasn't too damaged...

10:45 AM, April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a romantic way to end the day: closing down a tavern followed by poetry on the beach...;)

James LeBleu

7:57 PM, May 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home