Saturday, January 14, 2006

NORCROSS, GEORGIA, USA

Everyone tells me how life-changing this trip will be for me. Well, I'd have to agree, and it hasn't even begun yet! This past week alone, I quit my job of seven years, moved out of my apartment, stopped the mail, got rid of my computer and cell phone, gave away my furniture, put the rest of my things in a 5' X 15' storage unit, and said goodbye for a year to pretty much everyone I know. Talk about life-changing.... On top of that, I also flew to South Florida for a day to attend the funeral of one of my best friends. So to say that I'm feeling a little uprooted right now would be...well, let's just say an understatement.

In the middle of all this chaos, though, I was really touched by the thoughtfulness of my friends and coworkers, who have all been incredibly supportive and positive. On Friday, 11 of my coworkers, past and present, took me out for a farewell lunch, and gave me an international calling card with codes for most of the countries I'll be visiting. Very cool! Later that night, about 25 of my good friends showed up to my going-away party at Apres Diem. They presented me with a signed farewell card along with a big wad of cash, which was totally unexpected, but much appreciated! The best part, though was just getting to hang out with all my buds before I left, including some friends I rarely get to see. Thanks again, guys! You rock.

At this point I should give a special shout-out to Kevin, Trevor, and Leonard, who really went above and beyond in helping me move all my stuff. Especially Leo, who helped wrestle my gargantuan TV down three flights of stairs while both intoxicated and hung over. That boy is talented.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home